Monday, April 09, 2007

Dora and other educational programs


What is it about TV that some parents are so against? If it wasn't for TV I wouldn't have any time to myself. Besides there are things that my kids learn from TV that I wouldn't be able to teach them. For example, my 2 year old can say hi in 5 languages, has had success with learning sign language, she also knows classical composers, artists and ALL her traditional musical instruments and what they sound like. Now, the sign language I could have taught her, but she learnt it much faster from Baby Einstein than I could've taught her. I just keep teaching her new signs and reinforcing the ones that she already knows. I started letting her watch TV when our son Logan came along and I needed her to do something other than pull on me while I was nursing him.
In my opinion there are MANY advantages to TV that I feel comfortable allowing my children to watch it. I don't even mind sitting down and watching certain programs with them. I DON'T however, allow myself to let it be a babysitter.

No comments: